Bushmead is one of only two private developers that have achieved a full 6 leaf certification. Some of the initiatives at Bushmead which contributed to achieving EnviroDevelopment Certification:
- The ecological link along Kadina Brook is retained and ecological value enhanced whilst supporting wildlife movement between upland habitats including the National Park.
- Extensive remedial works undertaken to improve a site previously contaminated by uses associated with two rifle ranges and an abattoir.
- Key natural landforms and vegetation has been retained and the two development areas are sited on historically cleared or impacted sites.
- 69% of the development area will be ceded to State as conservation area.
- A seed collection program will contribute locally native stock for revegetation works.
- Solar orientation on a masterplan scale has been considered.
- Homes must include measures to reduce energy use either through installation of a solar pv system or efficient water heating systems and efficient appliances.
- Homeowners supported through education and resources to reduce energy consumption.
- Residents will reduce drinking water use either through installation of a rainwater tank or greywater reticulation system, with tanks plumbed to toilets and laundry and greywater systems diverting water from washing machines and/or showers.
- Water efficient fittings and fixtures are required in the home and landscaping will use Waterwise and native species.
- The Waterwise Verge Program will be delivered in partnership with Water Corporation to create a Waterwise verge demonstration with five ‘state of the art’ verges and delivery of a Waterwise workshop.
- Community engagement involves a hands-on approach to activate the community and educate on a more sustainable approach to living as well as build upon the unique nature of the development which is the connection to surrounding bushland and its conservation.
- Recognition of Aboriginal and European heritage through street naming, walk trails, public art and education.
- Public realm performs various functions including nature conservation and linkage, healthy active living, aesthetic value and water sensitive design.
- All builders must engage a waste company that can achieve an 80% reuse/recycle target
- MBA Smart Waste program of education and guidance to builders.
- Compost bins and worm farms are encouraged.
- Recycled construction and demolition concrete used for road sub-base.
- Retaining walls use ‘eco-blocks’, a high density recycled construction material product.